- About TLA
- Media Room
- Officer Resources
- Services & Resources
- TLA Office
- Be A Member
- Conference & Events
- Career Resources
- TX Libraries
- Members Only
Upstart Innovative Programming Award
The Upstart Innovative Programming Award (previously the Highsmith Award) recognizes two libraries - one school and one for all other library types (i.e., public, academic, special) – that have implemented creative marketing projects and/or promotions to enhance their visibility within their service community (example: library web sites, genre promotion, information services, library card sign-up, or any innovative project).
An Upstart representative presents the awards during the second general session of the TLA Annual Conference each April. Each library receives a $1,000 check and a plaque.
- Texas libraries of any size or type are eligible and are encouraged to apply.
- Two awards are available, one for school libraries and the second for all other library types (i.e., public, academic, special).
- Applicants may apply for only one of the awards.
- The program must have been in existence for a minimum of one year by the application deadline and should have been initiated no more than three years ago. In other words, for a project to qualify for the 2017 award, it must have started after February 2014 but before February 2017.
- A library may apply as often as desired but may not submit an application for a previous Highsmith Award winning program.
- Deadline: Materials must be received by midnight February 15, 2017.
- 2016 Chair: Janice Newsum. Email: email@example.com
Submission Requirements: A complete application is required. In electronic format, submit one document or visual that was created for the marketing project or that demonstrated the marketing project’s impact.
- 2016:Riverchase Elementary School Library and Whitesboro Public Library
- 2015 Lego for Literacy, Murchison Elementary, Pflugerville ISD; Promoting Finding Aides on Social Media, Newton Gresham Library, Sam Houston State University
- 2014 Battle of the Books, Sagamore Hill Elementary, Fort Worth ISD; Story Time Backpacks, Frisco Public Library
- 2013 Read-a-Coaster, Hebron High School, Lewisville ISD; Sensory Storytime, South Regional Library, Montgomery County Memorial Library System
- 2012 Summer Reading Project, Sloan Creek Middle School (Lovejoy ISD); Bookrunners! Your Personal Reading Consultants, Harris County Public Library
- 2011 Shackelford Jr. High School, Arlington, TX; Bertha Voyer Memorial Library, Honey Grove, TX
- 2010 Rock Out with a Reading Buddy, Duncanville High Library; Library L.I.T.E., Montgomery Co. Memorial Library System,
- 2009 Amarillo Reads Program (Amarillo PL); Kreinhop Student Council Book Drive, Kreinhop Elementary School (KISD)
- 2008 Frisco ISD Libraries; Frisco Public Library
- 2007 McDermott Library, University of Texas in Dallas; Midlothian ISD and AH Meadows Public Library
- 2006 Midway Reads, Midway ISD; Hurst Overland Reader’s Railroad, Hurst Public Library
- 2005 Montgomery County Teen Book Festival, The Woodlands High School-McCullough Campus & The John Cooper School; Teen Read Week – 2004: It’s alive! @ your library, Pasadena Public Library
- 2004 The Notorious TBC, Cedar Park Public Library; Families Reading Together, Kinkeade Early Childhood School
- 2003 Chisolm Trail Middle School (Rhome): Paperback Pigouts; and Arlington Public Library: Read it Again!
- 2002 Montgomery County Memorial Library System and Conroe Independent School District: 2001 Reading Odyssey; and University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio Library: Alamo Area Medical Information Project
- 2001 Waxahachie High School Library, Bookmobile; Dr. Eugene Clark Library (Lockhart), LOCK.NET (Lockhart Neighborhood Electronic Training)
- 2000 Austin Public Library, Día de los niños/Día de los libros; South Texas Independent School District, Biblioteca las Americas
- 1999 Plano Public Library Harrington Library, Circle of Success; Morehead Caney Creek Complex, Conroe ISD, STOMP (Student Teacher On-Line Mentoring Project)
- 1998 Fort Bend County (Texas) Public Library, Distance Learning Center
- 1997 Arlington Public Library (TX), Project S.T.A.R.
Created on Nov 6, 2012 | Last updated September 07, 2016