- About TLA
- Media Room
- Officer Resources
- Services & Resources
- TLA Office
- Be A Member
- Conference & Events
- Career Resources
- TX Libraries
- Members Only
NMRT Conference Stipends
New Members Round Table (NMRT) will annually award one $500 stipend to assist with the cost of registration and expenses for the TLA Annual Conference. The stipend will be awarded to a student who is currently enrolled in an MLS program.
Requirements for Eligibility
- Must be a current member of Texas Library Association and New Members Round Table. Note: membership is January – December of any given year.
- Must be currently enrolled in a Master of Library Science program.
- Must agree to attend and be recognized at NMRT’s General Business Meeting at the TLA Conference.
- Must agree to volunteer for at least one hour at NMRT’s exhibit hall booth at annual conference.
- Must agree to serve on the NMRT Conference Stipend Award Committee for the following year.
- Must agree to submit a 400-500 word reflection of the TLA Annual Conference experience. This reflection will be published in the next edition of the NMRT Newsletter. Quotes from the reflection may also be used in promotional materials for NMRT.
The Conference Stipend Awards Committee will be chaired by NMRT’s Secretary/Treasurer and will include the previous year’s stipend recipients and at least one other NMRT member volunteer.
General Committee Timeline
- January – Application form will be made available on the TLA and NMRT web sites.
- February – Application closes and all applications and letters of recommendation must be submitted to the Stipend Committee Chair by this date. Documents received after this date will not be considered for the stipends.
- March – Notices will be sent both to those applicants receiving a stipend and to those who are not receiving a stipend.
- TBA – TLA will mail initial $250 check to stipend winners.
- At Conference – Stipend winner will be introduced at the NMRT General Business Meeting (TBA) during TLA conference. The committee chair will present a check for the remaining stipend ($250) at this meeting.
- May – Stipend winner will send conference reflection to the NMRT Chair within 30 days of TLA Conference.
The following guidelines shall be used when reviewing applications:
- The applicant demonstrates interest in professional development.
- The applicant shows a commitment to libraries and their missions.
- The applicant has good written communication skills and expresses herself/himself well.
- The applicant has an expressed need for financial assistance.
- The applicant will continue with TLA involvement following TLA Annual Conference by serving on the NMRT Conference Stipends Awards Committee the following year.
One half of the conference stipend ($250) will be made available to the stipend winner prior to TLA Conference. The winner shall contact the TLA Office for this advance in order to defray conference expenses. The remaining funds ($250) will be awarded at the NMRT General Business Meeting at TLA Annual Conference.
Created on Jan 14, 2012 | Last updated March 10, 2017