- About TLA
- Media Room
- Officer Resources
- Services & Resources
- TLA Office
- Be A Member
- Conference & Events
- Career Resources
- TX Libraries
- Members Only
Professional Issues & Ethics Committee
The role of the Professional Issue & Ethics Committee is to promote professional issues and ethics and to educate Texas librarians about ethics issues.
The charges of this Committee, as given the Committee in TLA Standing Rules, Section N, revised at Council on July 28, 2010, are:
1. Develop and disseminate information about the profession to prospective librarians.
2. Provide a forum to research, monitor, discuss, and address diversity issues and trends in the profession and TLA.
3. Develop, identify, and disseminate information about effective practices for retaining librarians in libraries, in the profession, and in leadership roles in TLA.
4. Oversee the development and promulgation of guidelines that support the highest level of personal integrity and professional competence of librarians in Texas.
5. Support adherence to principles of due process and equity of opportunity in personnel actions.
6. Regularly survey and review pertinent data for updating the minimum entry-level salaries for librarians with master’s degrees in library science and/or information science and recommend adoption and promotion of appropriate changes to the minimum level salaries.
7. Regularly determine if the continuing education needs of the membership in the areas of ethics and professionalism are being met and make such recommendations as are necessary to ensure access to meaningful professional development, events, and opportunities.
Membership on the committee is by appointment;
please submit the TLA Volunteer form to
express an interest in serving.
Created on Jun 10, 2010 | Last updated April 14, 2015