Make a Difference
Give hope with a year-end contribution.
Help amplify the reach and impact of libraries in 2024!
Through the joint efforts of TLA and supporters like you, we amplify the impact of libraries across the state each day. Our mission goes beyond numbers. Our aim is to empower libraries, and the communities they serve, ensuring everyone feels a sense of belonging and has access to the resources they need.
But to continue our work, we need your support. A donation from you, in this season of giving, can help us further strengthen our organization and continue to provide invaluable resources to our members. Remember, we are stronger together, and every donation, no matter the size, makes a significant impact on our association as we continue to be there for you and all our members.
Whitten Intellectual Freedom Fund
Libraries across Texas are facing unprecedented numbers of challenges to books and materials, and books are being removed from library shelves without going through established reconsideration processes. Librarians are under tremendous pressure and TLA is committed to doing whatever we can to fight these censorship efforts. We’ve established an Intellectual Freedom Helpline to connect librarians who have questions or are facing a challenge with other librarians who can offer support and resources. TLA also launched Texans for the Right to Read, a grassroots coalition that opposes widespread, coordinated efforts to apply subjective criteria to ban books across the state.
Legislation restricting what students can be taught about our country’s complex history, and restricting what books they can read, is being passed around the country; and we will see similar proposals before the Texas Legislature when it convenes in January 2023. We need your support to continue to advocate for the right to read. Please consider making a donation to the Whitten Fund which supports activities that increase attention to, and support of intellectual freedom.
These funds support innovative association initiatives and activities, and specific programs.
- Pat Smith Endowment for Excellence Fund: Supports the essential work of the association and its members .
- Christina Woll Fund: Supports a grant to a public or school library for collection development or programming supporting children.
- Disaster Relief Fund: Supports Texas libraries that are impacted by natural disasters such as storms, flooding, etc.
- Glen & Jerre Hetherington Fund: Supports the development of library leaders now and into the future.
- Jeanette & Jim Larson Fund: Supports a grant to a public library to enhance their mystery genre collection
- June Kahler Berry Fund: Provides funds for the Tall Texan leadership Institute.
- Scholarship & Research Fund: Provides funds for scholarships to students who are enrolled in an ALA or CAEP accredited graduate library school program.
- Texas Bluebonnet Award Endowment Fund: Provides funding for Texas Bluebonnet Award program activities, including bringing students and families to the TLA Annual Conference to attend the TBA luncheon.
- Wayne Williams Fund: Provides an annual cash grant to the recipient of the TLA Wayne Williams Project of the Year Award.
- Whitten Intellectual Freedom Fund: Provides support for activities that increase attention to intellectual freedom.
- Legislative Reserve Fund: Supports grassroots, research and advocacy efforts.
- Donor ($15 – $49)
- Patron ($50 – $99)
- Mentor ($100 – $249)
- Promoter ($250 – $499)
- Guardian ($500 – $749)
- Partner ($750 – $999)
- Pillar ($1000 – $1999)
- Champion ($2000+)
- Luminary Society ($50K+)
Stand Out at TLA 2024!
Raise your company’s profile in the library market and grow your business. A wide range of opportunities are available.
Latest NewsView all News
Between the Lines: December Member Spotlight
Dr. Daniel F. Flores University Librarian Blumberg Memorial Library, Texas Lutheran University, Seguin, TX What inspired you to become a librarian? I was asked to help with a library project […]Read More
Five TLA 2024 Reading Lists Announced December 1
The Texas Library Association is proud to announce the release of five of our 2024 Reading Lists. We are grateful to the librarian members serving on the reading list committees […]Read More