TLA exists to serve libraries and librarians in Texas. In fulfilling its mission, TLA also benefits the people of Texas.
Why Join TLA?
Our members say it best:
|How can a Texas librarian not support TLA? Everything they do is to make our libraries stronger. They help and fight for every type of library and every type of librarian, whether your title is teacher-librarian, media specialist, or librarian. Education, resources, support – TLA provides it all. We all win with TLA watching over Texas libraries. – Jenny Filardo, Middle School Librarian, Presbyterian School in Houston|
|I am a TLA member because I believe that libraries and access to information are essential for my community and the great state of Texas. Libraries and librarians need our support now more than ever as our rights to free inquiry and access to information are being challenged. I am glad to know that TLA supports and defends those rights with us! – Lynda Infante, Faculty Librarian and Assistant Professor, Austin Community College|
|Keeping my team motivated and connected through the pandemic was a challenge. The TLA members and staff helped reassure me I was not alone. They gave me opportunities to learn from what others were doing around the state, and kept me from burnout.– Roosevelt Weeks, Director, Austin Public Library|
|I am a TLA member because of the association’s commitment to promoting literacy and equal access to information for Texas library patrons. – Lisa Hernandez, Alternative High School Librarian, Pharr-San-Juan-Alamo (PSJA) ISD, Elvis J. Ballew College, Career & Technology Academy|
Want to learn more? This approximately one-minute video takes you on a tour of TLA membership.
- Membership in TLA Engage, our powerful online community. Join in conversation, learn about job openings, connect with your fellow librarians and more.
- Advocacy to communicate the value of libraries and librarians, to improve library funding, and to influence public policy about library-related issues.
- Liability insurance for library professionals.
- Awards to recognize excellence in the profession, scholarships to promote library careers, and grants to nurture quality library programming.
- Continuing education opportunities and stipends for attending annual conference.
- Discounts on annual conference and other CE events.
- Employment assistance through Jobline, an online service that connects employers and jobseekers; and the Placement Center at annual conference.
- Intellectual Freedom materials and assistance.
- Access to an online Buyer’s Guide for library-related products and services.
- Professional support that includes leadership training, continuing education opportunities, liability insurance for librarians, and advocacy to promote fair salaries.
- Public relations products to promote libraries and reading.
- Reading lists for all ages.
- Texas Library Disaster Relief Fund to assist libraries devastated by floods, fires, and other calamities.
- Standards and guidelines for school and public libraries to ensure quality service for library users.
Join or Renew Your TLA Membership!
Latest NewsView all News
Between the Lines: December Member Spotlight
Coby Condrey Research Services Support Librarian, University of North Texas Libraries What inspired you to become a librarian? I wasn’t sure what I wanted to be when I grew up, […]Read More