TLA exists to serve libraries and librarians in Texas. In fulfilling its mission, TLA also benefits the people of Texas.
- Advocacy to communicate the value of libraries and librarians, to improve library funding, and to influence public policy about library-related issues.
- Liability insurance for library professionals.
- Awards to recognize excellence in the profession, scholarships to promote library careers, and grants to nurture quality library programming.
- Communication and networking through TLA publications, CE events, and Distribution Lists for members and units of TLA.
- Continuing education opportunities and stipends for attending annual conference.
- Discounts on annual conference and other CE events.
- Employment assistance through Jobline, an online service that connects employers and jobseekers; and the Placement Center at annual conference.
- Intellectual Freedom materials and assistance.
- Access to an online Buyer’s Guide for library-related products and services.
- Professional support that includes leadership training, continuing education opportunities, liability insurance for librarians, and advocacy to promote fair salaries.
- Public relations products to promote libraries and reading.
- Reading lists for tots through teens.
- Texas Library Disaster Relief Fund to assist libraries devastated by floods, fires, and other calamities.
- Standards and guidelines for school and public libraries to ensure quality service for library users.
Join or Renew Your TLA Membership!
Receive discounted TLA2019 registration and more!
Latest NewsView all News
86th Texas Legislative Session Begins
Members of the Texas Legislature have returned to Austin the 86th Legislative Session. Rep. Dennis Bonnen (R-Angleton) was elected Speaker of the House on January 9, and Governor Greg Abbott and Lt. Governor Dan Patrick were sworn into office on Tuesday, January 15. Comptroller Glenn Hegar provided the revenue estimate for the 2020-2021 biennium. Legislators […]Read More
2019 Lariat Reading List Announced
The Texas Library Association’s annual Lariat Reading List calls attention to outstanding fiction published during the year that merit special attention from adult readers. Since 2009 the goal of the Lariat Reading List has been to highlight outstanding fiction that is simply “a pleasure to read.” The Texas Library Association is proud to announce the […]Read More