TLA exists to serve libraries and librarians in Texas. In fulfilling its mission, TLA also benefits the people of Texas.
- Advocacy to communicate the value of libraries and librarians, to improve library funding, and to influence public policy about library-related issues.
- Liability insurance for library professionals.
- Awards to recognize excellence in the profession, scholarships to promote library careers, and grants to nurture quality library programming.
- Communication and networking through TLA publications, CE events, and Distribution Lists for members and units of TLA.
- Continuing education opportunities and stipends for attending annual conference.
- Discounts on annual conference and other CE events.
- Employment assistance through Jobline, an online service that connects employers and jobseekers; and the Placement Center at annual conference.
- Intellectual Freedom materials and assistance.
- Access to an online Buyer’s Guide for library-related products and services.
- Professional support that includes leadership training, continuing education opportunities, liability insurance for librarians, and advocacy to promote fair salaries.
- Public relations products to promote libraries and reading.
- Reading lists for tots through teens.
- Texas Library Disaster Relief Fund to assist libraries devastated by floods, fires, and other calamities.
- Standards and guidelines for school and public libraries to ensure quality service for library users.
Join or Renew Your TLA Membership!
Latest NewsView all News
Between the Lines: November Member Spotlight
Dale McNeill, Assistant Director for Public Services, San Antonio Public Library What inspired you to become a librarian? I started helping out in the school library in grade 5 and continued through high school graduation. I started working in construction, but then really wanted a job with air conditioning. That resulted in a public library […]Read More
Announcing the 2020-2021 Texas Bluebonnet Award List
Students from central Texas announced the Texas Library Association’s (TLA) 2020-2021 Texas Bluebonnet Award (TBA) Master List at the Texas Book Festival on Saturday, October 26. The Texas Bluebonnet Award Master List is one of the most prestigious children’s literature lists in the country. Students, parents, teachers, librarians, booksellers, and authors eagerly await the yearly […]Read More