The 2024 2×2 list is here!
The Texas Library Association is delighted to announce the arrival of the 2024 2×2 Reading List!
These beautifully illustrated, often humorous and instructive volumes are the best of recent books meant for children 2 years old to grade two. Librarians serving on the Texas Library Association Children’s Round Table 2X2 Committee read hundreds of books before narrowing the list to these selected 20.
The 2×2 books on the list can be read to small children, as well as read by young readers. The list was developed to give parents, caregivers and teachers a curated list of quality books. These are excellent books for reading during story time at the library or school, at bedtime with a parent or grandparent or for fun at any time. Find the 2×2 coloring boot and activity page here.
Among the 2024 selections are:
Boop! by Bea Birdsong; illustrated by Linzie Hunter. In this fun, interactive book for the littlest dog lovers, Bea Birdsong invites kids to boop all the snoots they see. This is a snoot. Snoots need boops. A boop is a pat. A gentle tap. Get your finger ready and . . . BOOP!
Papá’s Magical Water-Jug Clock by Jesús Trejo; illustrated by Eliza Kinkz. Little Jesús is excited to spend a Saturday with his father. Papá even puts him in charge of the magical water jug, which is also a clock! When it’s empty, Papá explains, the workday will be done. It’s a big job, and Jesús wants to do it right. But he just can’t help giving water to an array of thirsty animals—a dog in a sweater, some very old cats, and a flock of peacocks.
How to Make a Peanut Butter Sandwich in 17 Easy Steps by Bambi Edlund. It’s lunchtime, and all the animals are hungry. Time for peanut butter sandwiches for everyone! The recipe is surprisingly complicated, but you’re not worried. You gather the critters and a few necessary items (the peanuts and bread, of course, and don’t forget the accordion and wooden clogs!), and then you get started! A fun and delightful story.
Collection Development Statement
The 2×2 List is not designed to support any particular curriculum. Librarians are not required or expected to purchase every book on the list. Due to the diversity in age range and topics, librarians should follow their local collection development policies and guidelines when considering which titles to purchase for their library.
2024 Texas 2×2 List
- 100 Mighty Dragons All Named Broccoli by David LaRochelle; illustrated by Lian Cho.
- Beneath by Cori Doerrfeld
- Big by Vashti Harrison
- Boop! by Bea Birdsong; illustrated by Linzie Hunter
- Butt or Face? By Kari Lavelle
- Catside Up, Catside Down by Anna Hrachovec
- Cicada Symphony by Sue Fliess; illustrated by Gareth Lucas
- Friends Beyond Measure by Lalena Fisher
- How to Count to One by Caspar Salmon; illustrated by Matt Hunt
- How to Make a Peanut Butter Sandwich in 17 Easy Steps by Bambi Edlund
- Jumper: A Day in the Life of a Backyard Jumping Spider by Jessica Lanan
- Just One Flake by Travis Jonker
- Mister Kitty is LOST! by Greg Pizzoli
- More than Words by Roz MacLean
- Mr. S by Monica Arnaldo
- No Fair! by Jacob Grant
- Our Pool by Lucy Ruth Cummins
- Papá’s Magical Water-Jug Clock by Jesús Trejo; illustrated by Eliza Kinkz
- Simon and the Better Bone by Corey Tabor
- Very Good Hats by Emma Straub; illustrated by Blanca Gómez