- Reading Lists
- Intellectual Freedom
- Libraries Transform Texas
- Retention & Recruitment
- Public Relations
- Executive Director Search
- TLA Officer Resources
A graphic novels reading list for children grades K - 5.
- Little Maverick
- Lone Star
- Spirit of Texas – High School
- Spirit of Texas – Middle School
- Tejas Star
- Texas Bluebonnet Award
- Texas Topaz
- TLA Store
The Little Maverick Graphic Novel Reading List is a recommended reading list designed for children in grades K-5. The purpose of the list is to encourage students to explore a variety of current graphic novels. The Little Maverick Graphic Novel Reading List is intended for recreational reading, not to support a specific curriculum. Due to the diversity of this age range, Texas librarians should purchase titles on this list according to their individual collection policies.
2019 Little Maverick Graphic Novel Reading List
* Titles received a unanimous vote from the selection committee
+ Title is part of a series
- Can Somebody Please Scratch My Back? by Jory John, illus. by Liz Climo (Dial Books for Young Readers/Penguin Young Readers Group).
- Don’t Eat That! by Drew Sheneman (Viking/Penguin Young Readers).
- + Game for Adventure: Belinda the Unbeatable by Lee Nordling, art by Scott Roberts (Graphic Universe/Lerner Publishing Group).
- * Good Night, Planet by Liniers (TOON Books).
- + Gordon: Bark to the Future! A P.U.R.S.T. Adventure by Ashley Spires (Kids Can Press).
- + Johnny Boo (Book 8): Johnny Boo and the Ice Cream Computer by James Kochalka (Top Shelf Productions).
- *+ Little Tails on the Farm (Volume 5) by Frédéric Brrémaud, illus. by Frederico Bertolucci, trans. by Mike Kennedy (Magnetic Collection/ Lion Forge).
- Moo Moo & Mr. Quackers Present: What’s Cooking, Moo Moo? by Tim Miller (Balzer + Bray/HarperCollins).
- * Nobody’s Duck by Mary Sullivan (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt).
- Poppy & Sam And The Leaf Thief by Cathon (Owlkids Books).
- * + Red Again by Barbara Lehman (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt).
- Sweet Dreams, Supergirl by Michael Dahl, illus. by Omar Lozano (Capstone Young Readers/Capstone).
- + The Whiskers Sisters #1: May’s Wild Walk by MissPATY, trans. by Nathan Sacks (Graphic Universe/Lerner Publishing Group).
- Akissi: Tales of Mischief by Marguerite Abouet, illus. by Mathieu Sapin, trans. by Judith Taboy and Marie Bédrune (Flying Eye Books/Nobrow).
- All Summer Long by Hope Larson (Farrar Straus Giroux Books for Young Readers/ Macmillan Publishing Group).
- *Be Prepared by Vera Brosgol, color by Alec Longstreth (First Second/Roaring Book Press a division of Holtzbrinck).
- * The Breadwinner: A Graphic Novel text adapted by Shelley Tanaka, based on the original book by Deborah Ellis, screenplay by Anita Doron, directed by Nora Twomey, color stills by Breadwinner Canada Inc./Cartoon Saloon (Breadwinner) Limited/Melusine Productions S.A., (Groundwood Books/House of Anansi Press).
- * The Cardboard Kingdom by Chad Sell (Alfred A. Knopf/Random House Children’s Books/Penguin Random House).
- + CatStronauts: Robot Rescue by Drew Brockington (Little, Brown Books for Young Readers).
- Cici’s Journal: The Adventures Of A Writer-in-Training by Joris Chamblain, illus. by Aurélie Neyret (First Second/Roaring Book Press a division of Holtzbrinck).
- * The City On The Other Side by Mairghread Scott, illus. by Robin Robinson (First Second/Roaring Book Press a division of Holtzbrinck).
- Clem Hetherington And The Ironwood Race by Jen Breach, illus. by Douglas Holgate (Graphix/Scholastic).
- + Cucumber Quest 1: The Doughnut Kingdom by Gigi D.G. (First Second/Roaring Book Press a division of Holtzbrinck).
- + Disney Fairies: Vidia and the Fairy Crown by Haruhi Kato (Tokyopop/Disney Manga).
- + Get To Know Your Universe! Science Comics Plagues: The Microscopic Battlefield by Falynn Koch (First Second/Roaring Book Press a division of Holtzbrinck).
- + Get To Know Your Universe! Science Comics: Robots And Drones: Past, Present, and Future by Mairghread Scott, illus. by Jacob Chabot (First Second/ Roaring Book Press a division of Holtzbrinck).
- Graveyard Shakes by Laura Terry (Graphix/Scholastic).
- + Hilo Book 4: Waking the Monsters by Judd Winick (Random House Children’s Books/Penguin Random House).
- Mega Robo Bros by Neill Cameron (Scholastic/David Fickling Books/The Phoenix).
- Mr. Wolf’s Class by Aron Nels Steinke (Graphix/Scholastic)
- * My Beijing: Four Stories Of Everyday Wonder by Nie Jun, trans. by Edward Gauvin (Graphic Universe/Lerner Publishing Group).
- * Older Than Dirt: A Wild But True History of Earth by Don Brown and Dr. Mike Perfit, illus. by Don Brown (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt).
- * Pashmina by Nidhi Chanani (First Second/Roaring Book Press a division of Holtzbrinck).
- Scarlett Hart: Monster Hunter by Marcus Sedgwick, illus. by Thomas Taylor (First Second/Roaring Book Press a division of Holtzbrinck).
- + Star Scouts: The League Of Lasers by Mike Lawrence (First Second/Roaring Book Press a division of Holtzbrinck).
- * Suee And The Shadow by Ginger Ly, illus. by Molly Park (Amulet Books/Abrams).
- The Tea Dragon Society by Katie O’Neill (Oni Press).
- Time Shifters by Chris Grine (Graphix/Scholastic).
- * The Witch Boy by Molly Knox Ostertag (Graphix/Scholastic).
- Wings Of Fire The Graphic Novel: Book One The Dragonet Prophecy by Tui T. Sutherland, adapted by Barry Deutsch, art by Mike Holmes, color by Maarta Laiho (Graphix/Scholastic).
- Chasma Knights by Boya Sun and Kate Reed Petty, illus. by Boya Sun (First Second/ Roaring Book Press a division of Holtzbrinck).
- Crafty Cat And The Great Butterfly Battle by Charise Mericle Harper (First Second/ Roaring Book Press a division of Holtzbrinck).
- *+ Dog Man And Cat Kid by Dav Pilkey (Graphix/Scholastic).
- + Far Out Fables: The Robo-Battle Of Mega Tortoise vs. Hazard Hare: A Graphic Novel by Stephanie Peters, illus. by Fernando Cano (Stone Arch Books/ Capstone).
- + Far Out Fables: The Ugly Dino Hatchling: A Graphic Novel by Stephanie Peters, illus. by Otis Frampton (Stone Arch Books/Capstone).
- * Grace For Gus by Harry Bliss (Katherine Tegen Books/HarperCollins).
- How To Spot A Sasquatch by J. Torres, illus. by Aurélie Grand (Owlkids Books).
- Kitten Construction Company: Meet The House Kittens by John Patrick Green, color by Cat Caro (First Second/Roaring Book Press a division of Holtzbrinck).
- *+ Monsters Beware! by Jorge Aguirre, art by Rafael Rosado, color by John Novak (First Second/Roaring Book Press a division of Holtzbrinck).
- * Peter & Ernesto: A Tale Of Two Sloths by Graham Annable (First Second/Roaring Book Press a division of Holtzbrinck).
- * Small Things by Mel Tregonning (Pajama Press).
- Sparks! by Ian Boothby, art by Nina Matsumoto, color by David Dedrick (Graphix/ Scholastic).
2019 Little Maverick Reading ListDownload
Latest NewsView all News
TLA Response to Macmillan eBook Embargo
The Texas Library Association (TLA), with almost 6,000 members from academic, school, special and public libraries, represents one of the largest and most dynamic library markets in the country. On behalf of our members, we call on Macmillan to reverse the library eBook embargo announced in July. This new licensing model, which allows libraries to […]Read More
Libraries Transform Texas Week October 7 – 11
“Libraries transform Texas because they transform our people.” – Mayor Steve Adler, City of Austin Mark your calendars and plan to celebrate the numerous ways libraries transform Texas! During the week of October 7 – 11 all libraries are invited to share how they transform their communities through innovative spaces, programs, education, technology, events, and […]Read More
Great benefits for TLA Institutional members!
POs accepted for TLA2019 registration, discounted pricing for Grant Station, NonProfit Liability Insurance, and more.